Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I survived!

Today marks almost the conclusion of day two and I must say; I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

Now, I know I have miles and pounds to go but hey, it's a start!

I've done quite a bit of research in the past few days and building up to getting started I though a lot about why I have been unsuccessful in the past. One of the conclusions I have reached is that the things I was doing before as far as exercise is concerned was not FUN (gasp)! I've decided that this doesn't have to feel like torture and I just need to find things that I enjoy that get me off the couch and my heart rate jumping.

Here's the hard part. The things I enjoy come with a lot of stuff (and expensive stuff). I enjoy swimming but find the laps to be dull and boring. So, I started looking into waterproof Ipod cases and headphones. Not a cheap undertaking either. Not to mention, yes I have a community pool that is free to use to me for now but what happens past labor day and it closes? Bummer.

The second activity I enjoy has been indoor cycling (aka spinning). However I feel that in order to truly assess the results of that effort, I need to have some type of heartrate monitor. And wouldn't that be fabulous for the pool too? I immediately looked into the BodyBugg which is the fancy calories out counter that the Biggest Losers were. Color me surprised to find they are not water proof. Double bummer. However, I pressed on surfing the Internet to find the Polar monitors and although they don't upload exact caloric expenditures to a fancy (and again expensive) website, it does calculate heartrate and give a remotely accurate assessment of calories burned.

Lastly, I have come to somewhat enjoy tennis. Although it's more humid than hell right now even post 7 p.m. it is still something I would really like to get out and do much more often. And the best part is that it's of relatively no additional cost to me!

For a complete list of all the gadgets I am digging right now; see my new wishlist to the right.

Even though I blew my food goals for the day by about 300 calories, it still feels good to "know" what I am doing, be diligent in recording it, and not getting so discouraged that I gave up on exercising today.

Go me!

Tomorrow, remind me to blog about the website I have been using to record all of the ins and outs of this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment